picture of mobility scooterMobility scooters can usually be covered under the owner’s household insurance. This applies to Class 1 and 2 invalid carriages, which have a maximum speed of 4 mph and cannot be used on the road. Class 3 invalid carriages have to be registered with the DVLA and they can go on the road – they have a maximum speed of 8 mph.

If a mobility scooter were to cause damage or injury in a Hall due to the owner’s negligence, then any claim would be made against the owner (whether or not he/she had insurance). The Hall policy could only become involved if there was negligence on the part of the Hall Committee.

It is recommended that each Committee carry out a risk assessment and reach a decision as to whether mobility scooters should be allowed in the Hall. The decision would depend mainly on access issues, if the Hall has a regular user with a mobility scooter, they could ask to see evidence that the owner holds liability insurance. This is not difficult to obtain.

Translate »